Updated March 5th 2021: New “Regulatory Matrix” and “Apply Three” features.
One of the regular tasks small landlords handle is finding and keeping the best tenants for their rental properties. Without a battle tested tenant selection process, including accurate screening tools, selecting the right tenant for your rental can be a daunting task. This can be especially burdensome when you have a relatively small portfolio and any delinquent rent or unexpected damages can be a major hit to your cash-flow and profits. ApplyConnect offers tenant screening services that may be the answer to your problems.
Many property management software systems offer tenant screening as just one of their many features. These might include online rent payment, advertising syndication, remote lease signing, and reporting and accounting. However, if an online tenant screening service is all you need right now, then we recommend you create a free account and screen your next applicant using ApplyConnect. We have previously awarded it the best tenant screening service for simplicity in our recent rankings of screening services.
ApplyConnect is a winner in our Best Tenant Screening Service for Small Landlords. Start Screening with ApplyConnect!
ApplyConnect mainly focuses on tenant screening services to make the process of vetting potential tenants easy and streamlined for landlords. Tenants can sign up for a free account and simplify their application process safely and securely, knowing that the most accurate information gets passed along. Applicants can use ApplyConnect tenant screening services to pay for and submit their screening reports directly to landlords in seconds.
In this article, we explore everything you need to know about ApplyConnect’s features and offerings. Take a look and decide if it’s the right property management software for your rental property business.
Registration and Fees
Firstly, one of the top benefits with using ApplyConnect is that it is easy and completely free to register and begin screening tenants immediately. Landlords have the option to pay for screening reports or require applicants to do so, meaning this service can completely free to rental owners and managers. ApplyConnect also integrates directly with PayRent, so you can start collecting rent payments online as well.
To register your account, you will need to submit the following information using a secure form:
- Full name
- Birth date
- Home address
- Phone number
ApplyConnect will verify your identity with Experian. As a result, it is important for landlords and renters who want to sign up for a free account to input accurate information. This process involves answering a series of questions based on the personal information you submitted. However, it does not impact your credit score or require a pull on your credit report. It’s merely an added layer of security.
When your landlord account is all set up, you will be ready to invite applicants to share their background and screening reports. Renters will be able to order copies of credit checks and reports as soon as their account is verified and have them sent to their landlord’s accounts.
Regulatory Matrix: A unique new tool to help landlords comply with local laws precluding the use of some criminal or eviction history when choosing tenants. “Enter the property zip code each time you invite a rental applicant, and ApplyConnect’s Regulatory Matrix will look up those laws and update the report to be compliant.”
ApplyConnect Tenant Screening Services for Landlords
One of the main benefits of using ApplyConnect is that you can request tenant screening reports from potential renters that they pay for and submit to you through the platform. ApplyConnect offers two reports; Apply One, and Apply Three. Apply One costs $29.95 and can be viewed by a single property manager. Renters who wish to can pay $39.95 for the Apply Three report and have the ability to share it with up to three landlords. This is called their However, if you prefer to pay for the report, you can waive the fee for your applicant.
Note: The above pricing and option for applicants to pay for a shareable report are new as of October 2020.
Furthermore, ApplyConnect’s online format allows your applicants to submit all of their important information you need to know when filling a vacant rental property. Complete an application within minutes, include FCRA and legal disclosures relevant to your state, and then automatically move the applicant to the tenant screening process at no additional cost.
Finally, ApplyConnect processes tenant screening reports within seconds of the applicant paying for them. You will receive an email alert when a report is available, and you’ll be able to see the report from your ApplyConnect dashboard.
WARNING: Because some companies have not ensured the information they provide to the landlord is accurate, some cases of mistaken identity have been reported. Therefore, it is important to work with a company that uses validated methods of tenant screening.
What Does a Tenant Screening Report Include?
ApplyConnect tenant screening services ensure that the reports you receive are valid and provide thorough reports for your review. Here is what every tenant screening report includes:
- Experian Credit Report: This includes payment history on all credit, real estate, and installment accounts as well as collection history, civil judgments, bankruptcies, tax liens, prior names, employment history, and previous addresses.
- VantageScore 3.0: The three major credit bureaus developed this score to indicate a reliable FICO credit score. Use this score to determine how likely an applicant is to pay rent on time.
- Nationwide Criminal Background Check: ApplyConnect’s criminal background check pulls data from over 790 million offenses nationwide. You’ll know if an applicant has any current warrants or is wanted for any crimes. It also tells you if an applicant is on the terrorist (OFAC) watch list or has ever been arrested or imprisoned.
- Sex Offender Registry Search: Each tenant screening report from ApplyConnect includes a sex offender registry scan. It searches sex offender registries in all 50 states plus Washington D.C, American territories, and Native American tribes. In some cases, the report will include physical descriptors and photos.
- Nationwide Eviction History: Find out if a potential tenant has ever been evicted from another rental property with ApplyConnect’s national eviction history report. This report scans databases with over 36 million unique records nationwide. This information is not available on credit reports or criminal records (unless the eviction carried a criminal charge with it).
Learn More About Tenant Screening: The Best Tenant Screening Service for Small Landlords
ApplyConnect Tenant Screening Sample Report:
A Unique Feature: ApplyConnect’s Regulatory Matrix
Laws across the country are changing and many localities have passed laws that make it illegal to use certain criminal and eviction history in the selection of tenants. In their own words: “Enter the property zip code each time you invite a rental applicant, and ApplyConnect’s Regulatory Matrix will look up those laws and update the report to be compliant.”
Online Rent Collection
In addition to providing thorough and easy-to-use tenant screening reports, ApplyConnect offers online rent payment services for landlords and renters.
ApplyConnect has partnered with PayRent to offer free rent collection. Here are some primary features of PayRent’s online rent collection services.
- Free for landlords: Renters pay a small fee (0.25% or $2.50 for a $1000/month rental) to process ACH transactions. There is a $5.00 fee cap for each transaction. Alternatively, tenants can pay with credit cards with a 3.5% + $0.30 transaction fee. Note: When we talk about ACH, EFT, or e-check transactions these are essentially the same thing. All three are an electronic transfer of funds from one bank account to another.
- Unlimited properties: Sign up for one account and get online rent payments for all of your properties.
- Schedule recurring payments: Your tenants can schedule recurring payments. Then they never have to worry about late fees, and you never have to worry about missed payments.
- Funding in just 3 days: You’ll have rent money in your account within three days of PayRent’s collection.
- Secure: PayRent uses some of the world’s largest and safest financial institutions. As a result, this helps protect you and your tenants’ security and privacy.
- Payment tracking: You and your tenants receive instant email notifications upon successful payment. You can then track your payments and control your accounting from your dashboard.
PayRent is a winner in The Best Online Rent Payment Service for Small Landlords. Start Collecting Rent Now!
In conclusion, if you manage rental property it is imperative you screen for the best quality tenants for your rental. We believe ApplyConnect has some of the best tenant screening services available. ApplyConnect tenant screening services could be the right option for you. In addition, they make it easy for landlords to request and receive thorough background and screening reports from applicants.
Getting started with ApplyConnect is easy! Simply head to their website and sign up for your free account. Once you register, invite applicants and tenants to submit their screening reports or sign up for automated rent collection. Try it today!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and Landlord Gurus may earn a commission. Our mission remains to provide valuable resources and information that helps landlords manage their rental properties efficiently and profitably. We link to these companies and their products because of their quality, not because of the commission.